Promoting Community Health
Click on underlined text for more info or to link to resourceful websites outside of Center for Faith and Health.
211 : a comprehensive database of social services. 2-1-1 answers the call for help, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in many languages. Dial 211 from your phone within Houston City limits for referral information or call 713-957-4357 from cell phones or outside the Greater Houston area.
311 : View the City of Houston’s non-emergency online service directory or submit a service request. Dial 3-1-1 or call 713-837-0311.
Faith Community Health
- Community of Hope Lay Chaplaincy: www.cohinternational.com
- Health Ministries Association: www.hmassoc.org
- Texas Health Ministries- statewide network, database & resources for regional faith commununity health promotion: www.texashealthministries.org
- Faith Community Nursing & International Parish Nurse Resources at Church Health Center: www.ParishNurses.org
- Spiritual Director’s International: www.sdiworld.org
- Youth Outreach & Developmental Assets: http://www.search-institute.org/
- Raise awareness & start conversations about emotional well-being & depression with our “Feel Good” game including prizes. Call (832) 567-8316 to borrow this item featured at our Shalom Series conferences.
Social & Health Services in Harris County & Greater Houston Metropolitan Area
- Senior Guidance Directory & Caregiving Handbook: http://www.srguidance.org/
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Health Charities: Find safety net clinics, breast health and grant info & research portal: http://www.slehc.org/
- Primary care network and health support services: www.GatewaytoCare.org
Gateway to Care: 713-783-4616
- Open Marketplace Insurance Enrollment: https://www.healthcare.gov/marketplace – 832-393-5423 (toll free 1-855-892-8082)
- Medical Insurance offered through Harris County Healthcare Alliance: www.houstonhealthchoice.com/ and small business plans at www.texhealthharriscounty.org
- Houston Disaster Preparedness: www.readyhoustontx.gov
- Harris County Housing Resource Center: www.hrc.hctx.net
- Harris County Employment Assistance: www.hrc.hctx.net/EmploymentAssistance.htm
- DrugWatch.com: Info about prescription and over-the-counter medications, drug recalls, medication interactions, and current developments in the medical field.
- Houston Crisis Helpline: 713-HOTLINE or 713-526-8088 (Espanol) or 713-529-TEEN
(or text TEEN to 78247)
- Mental Health America of Greater Houston Guidebook: www.mhahouston.org/media/files/files/624b3916/The_Guide__2014-15_Final.pdf and Hotlinks: www.mhahouston.org/mental-health-helpful-links/
- National Alliance on Mental Illness: www.nami.org – support, classes, membership etc.
- Veteran & Caregiver Support: https://www.nrd.gov/state/texas; and Houston area- https://www.unitedwayhouston.org/assets/uploads/documents/13-vet-resource-directory.pdf
- Safe Riders- 1-800-252-8255 Assistance with Child seats, Educational material, Technician training, Community Presentations, State Law information: Visit www.txdps.state.tx.us. Stranded motorist DPS phone # 1-800-525-5555 or *377 from some cell phones.
- Texas Elected Officials- Find Yours: www.texastribune.org/directory
- Marriage support, mentoring & youth outreach in Houston: www.PPMES.org
Best Weather Sites
- Weather warnings: www.weather.gov/houston